*Thanks to the Garter Stitch Shortcut…

This last Tuesday marked the 2nd day of my current college course on Loom Knitting for the Holidays.  The particular project we were learning on Tuesday enabled me to teach everyone the “Garter Stitch Shortcut” tip discovered by Isela Phelps…I have realized lately that I use this shortcut ALL THE TIME!  I don’t think there’s ever a time when I’m knitting a purl over a knit that I don’t employ this fantabulous tip!

If you haven’t seen Isela’s video on this subject…click here…it’s definitely worth your time to check it out, as it will save you tons of time in your knitting endeavors!

And to you, Isela…a giant THANK YOU…for all that you do to help us go one step farther in looming!  :D

Bethany~

About gettinitpegged

Whipping up whimsy with looms & string! :)
This entry was posted in Crafting, Knitting, Loom Knitting, Tutorials. Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to *Thanks to the Garter Stitch Shortcut…

1. Lori says:

when visitng the link it says that the account is closed….it doesnt show the video.

2. gettinitpegged says:

So sorry! Isela changed where she housed her video! The new link is here: http://tinyurl.com/codjbn

Enjoy!
    Bethany~

3. annie says:

When I tried the garter stitch in the round, I ended up with a noticable line where the stitches changed each round. How do I avoid that line?

4. gettinitpegged says:

Annie, you’ll have this line every time you knit in the round, because what you’re really doing when you’re knitting in the round is creating a spiral. The place where you see this line is where the next round of the spiral stacks on top of the previous one. You’ll see this when you’re knitting stripes in the round as well.

There’s a little trick when you’re knitting stripes in the round that might help, but I haven’t actually tried it when knitting garter stitch. When you’re changing colors, you slip the first stitch in the 2nd row of the new color. Slip stitch just means to skip that peg and not knit it, trailing the yarn behind the peg. I’m not sure how often you’d need to slip stitches in garter stitch to give the illusion of no “spiral stack”…maybe every time you switch to knit? …or purl? …or maybe the first stitch you slip would be enough for the piece? This is something you’ll need to try out and see what works best for you. :) I hope this helped give you some ideas… hmmmm…gives me some ideas, lol! ;)

Bethany~

5. annie says:

Thank-you, Bethany!
    I will use your suggestion next time I have a little time to play around on the loom. I don’t know why it did not occur to me that loom knitting is spiral knitting….and me a crocheter!
    Oh well, the hat will stay with me, I’ll wear it to chore the critters – they don’t care if there is a line up my work! ;)
    The video is great! I will be using that tip a lot!
    Thanks again.
    ~annie

6. gettinitpegged says:

You’re so very welcome, Annie! I’m glad I could at least point you in the right direction to start looking for a better way to go. I’m sure your hat is coming out lovely-you’ll be the best dressed animal chow provider around! ;)